Professional video formats to digital files
DVD Conversions cater for the professional video market by offering transfers of professional video tape formats for use on popular editing formats such as
- AVID Media Composer
- Adobe Premier
- Final Cut Pro
We can convert from:
- Betacam SP
- Betacam SX
- Betacam MPEG IMX
- Digital Betacam (Digibeta)
- Mini DV
- 3/4″ Umatic Low Band
We can convert to:
- AVI Uncompressed 8 or 10 bit, YUV or rgb
- MP4 – H264
- MOV QuickTime Uncompressed 8 or 10 bit, YUV or RGB
- MOV – H264
We work with AVID Media Composer, Sorrenson Squeeze and Final Cut Pro X, so we can output just about any file format.
The Capture process:
We use industrial playback decks in conjunction with AV processing and calibration equipment to ensure optimum quality. All video signals are calibrated to ensure correct video, chroma and black levels. Audio signals are conditioned with audio signal compression and equalization equipment. We use AVID / Blackmagic video capture and editing software to capture, edit and render the various digital file types.
Approximate file sizes:
- 13gb per hour for AVI or QuickTime (DV Codec).
- Uncompressed AVI approximately 70Gb per hour
- MP4 is considerably smaller and is dependent on the codec chosen. Usually 6gb per hour H264 depending on bit rate.
An external hard drive will be required to copy the files to. We also offer a file upload service, we will upload to a FTP service of your choice (subject to a small charge).
If you choose to supply your own drive, it should have sufficient space for the files and be formatted as exFAT, NTFS or MAC. FAT32 systems do not allow files larger than 4GB. We would be happy to supply a suitable hard drive for you, visit our media sales page.
- All Betacam formats – $80 per hour of tape
- All other pro formats as above – $60 per hour of tape
- All domestic formats as below – $50 per hour of tape
The rate is calculated by summing the minute count from each tape and rounding up to the nearest hour. For example, 2 x 55 minute tapes = 110 minutes, rounded to 2 hours ($100.00)
If you are unsure what’s on your tapes, we have a viewing facility where you can view your tapes. Call us to arrange a viewing time.
The rate includes:
- Processing of video and audio signals through our Kramer AV processing equipment.
- Re-calibration of video, chroma and black levels
- Audio signals are processed using DBX digital signal processing units to maintain audio levels and compress spikes and minimize tape noise.
We can transfer any of the following domestic video formats:
- VHS C
- Betamax (PAL)
- Video 8
- Digital 8
- Mini DV (HDV is considered a pro format)
- Mini DVD – Finalized or not (subject to data recovery fee in the case of un-finalized DVD’s)
- NTSC > PAL > NTSC – If required, no additional charge for standards conversion.
- Super 8 film
- Regular 8 film
- 9.5mm film
- 16mm film
We do not charge labour charges for cassette repair or cleaning if we are converting your tapes. Moldy tapes are no problem, we will clean and treat the tapes prior to the conversion process. The only instance where a charge will apply is if the cassette casings need replacement. We stock used cassette casings for most video formats.
We will quote accordingly. Visit our tape and cassette repair page for more information.
Read this post on our tape cleaning process.
Call us on 09 320 3586 if you need any additional information.
All prices in NZ$
Please take a moment to view our web video